Australia calls out Google for 'experiment' blocking some news sites
17 Janvier, 2021, 08:12 | Auteur: Auguste Feret
Google is under fire for blocking some Australian news sites from search results as part of an experiment.
The incident is the latest in an ongoing battle between Google and the Australian government, which is now considering a proposal that would force tech firms such as Google and Facebook to pay local news providers for their content.
Unfortunately, there are no more updates if Google only runs the experiment exclusively after the Australian government implemented the news media bargaining code, or if there are any more trials planned, or if Google did inform the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission of its plan.
What is making people upset down under is that users were not informed of the change, or advised how to find news articles when searching, with some reporting they initially believed it was an issue only affecting them.
Google insists the move was just one of "thousands of experiments" it runs ever year.
But those in the know should not be overly surprised at the development.
This applies to Facebook's "news feed" and Google searches, which are the two richest and most powerful companies in the world.
"At the same time, Google are now demonstrating how easily they can make Australian news providers who fall out of their favour effectively disappear from the internet - a chilling illustration of their extraordinary market power", Nina, the publisher of the Australian Financial Review, the Age, and the Sydney Morning Herald, says in a statement.
Trump's Mar-a-Lago warned over coronavirus mask violations
He also claimed that the large gathering could have endangered the local community, in the complaint sent to Palm Beach County . When the town agreed in 1993 to convert the private residence into a club, his attorney said he would no longer live there.
It comes after Google in June 2020 announced the "News Showcase" scheme, which would see news publishers in Australia, Brazil, and Germany starting to be compensated for the news they produce.
Facebook previously threatened to ban Australian users from sharing news content over the plan.
"The digital giants should focus on paying for original content, not blocking it", Frydenberg told reporters, referring to Google and social media behemoth Facebook Inc. "That's my message to those digital giants", Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg told the BBC.
"The digital giants should focus on paying for original content, not blocking it", Frydenberg said at a press conference.
"This conduct by Google ..."
The treasurer added that the country's parliament was considering a new code that would tackle the bargaining power imbalance between news media and digital platforms.
Some will feel there is little doubt that Google's "experiment" is a warning shot to Australian authorities on the matter.
Google denied providing a detailed list of the news outlets affected.
TNational Guard troops have been seen patrolling around the Capitol building fences, while also stopping drivers at road blocks. And we're doing a secondary review of inauguration-related events and removing policy-violating ones.
Les années passent, mais le manque reste là pour Céline, qui n'a pas manqué de rendre un émouvant hommage à son ancien mari. Le 14 janvier, Céline a célébré l'anniversaire de son décès avec un photo de deux amoureux se tenant la main.
The Ministry for Primary Industries said it was not aware of any evidence that New Zealand milk powder was the source of Covid-19. The company has confirmed that as of 2pm Thursday China time, 1,662 employees have been quarantined and tested.
En 24 heures de temps, pas moins de 1 199 personnes, souffrant du virus ont été acceptées dans les hôpitaux français. Le nombre de nouvelles contaminations est lui de 21.406, sensiblement le même que ces derniers jours.
The Afghanistan decision was seen by some as unnecessarily complicating the decision-making of the incoming administration. Miller indicated the remaining USA troops and commanders are tasked to keep USA interests safe in the regions.
Meanwhile, Mexican authorities along with other countries have expressed their concern about health risks among migrant groups. In recent caravans, Guatemalan authorities have stopped small groups of migrants at roadblocks and returned them to Honduras.
Richter said the mixture of these natural antibodies, mixed with the vaccines now being rolled out, would help reduce cases. Now more than ever it is vital we all stay at home to protect our health service and save lives, she added.
Shahid Afridi bats for Mohammad Amir
After the snub, Malik had stayed on but Amir announced that he will not play under Misbah and Waqar Younis. Amir also took a dig at coaches for the recent series losses against New Zealand.
Disruptive Norwegian Air exits long-haul travel
Passengers whose future bookings have now been canceled "will be contacted directly and will be refunded", Norwegian said. The coronavirus pandemic has had a profound impact on operations, the airline said.
Tam calls for strong measures to control spread of COVID-19
Theresa Tam says in the short-term, models predict over 100,000 new cases of COVID-19 and 2,000 more deaths in the next ten days. Hospitalizations are highest per capita in Manitoba , followed by Alberta , Saskatchewan , Quebec , Ontario and B.C.
De Blasio says NYC will be out of COVID vaccine next week
Across the state, 827,715 doses have been administered with 731,285 going to first doses and 96,430 for second doses, Cuomo said. Cuomo said 74 percent of the vaccine it receive over the first four weeks of distribution have been injected in arms.
Pablo Longoria et le dossier Milik — OM
Marseille avait déjà vu une proposition initiale culminant à 6 millions d'euros être refusée . La Provence explique ce matin que le joueur pourrait signer pour 3 ans et demi.